Decorating your home can add up fast!! I Love picking up new things for our house, but hate the price tag at regular retail stores. There are quite a few places you can go to save money while making your house look great!!!
The room above was furnished for FREE! We bought the computer at a Black Friday sale, but everything else cost us nothing. Luckily, all of my family and friends know how frugal I am and offer me stuff all the time. I LOVE how every piece of furniture has a story in that room!! The couch came from a neighbor who was going to list it on craigslist for free, the TV stand and TV came from a family friend who planned to list them on Craigslist for free before a move, and the desk, desk chair, a telephone stand, and wall hangings came from my mom. It never hurts to let friends know items you want or need. If they are talking about listing things on craigslist ask them what they are listing!!! Saves you time and them the hassle of meeting up with strangers! Plus, if they are browsing Craigslist have them shop for you too.
Here are Some Great Tips on Decorating Your Home For Free or Cheap:
- Craigslist and Facebook yard sale groups often have amazing finds often for free or dirt cheap!!! Furniture, wall decor and even leftover paint our some of the things I have picked up through Craigslist. On Facebook try typing in the search bar the word free, the name of your county or town to try to pull up groups. Often times the items are sold for yard sale prices and you can shop from a ton of people at home!!! Just remember to meet in public places during daylight and have a buddy know where you are meeting!!
- Yard Sales are fun to shop and you can get free things at them too!! Yup, I love hitting yard sales with free boxes at them!! Be on the lookout for plants, picture frames, mirrors, rugs and furniture at yard sales. We have repurposed so many things out of these boxes, plus we have grabbed so many camping and beach toys out of those boxes!!! Later in the day you may even have luck talking them down on the price of the items as well since many would rather get a lower price, then have to drag their leftover stuff to a donation center.
- Thrift stores can be a gold mine! You never know what goodies will be on hand, so visit as often as you can. Be sure to ask in the store if there are ever special promotions going on. One Saturday a month, one of our thrift stores has a 50% off everything sale and our Goodwill has several promotions every week like 50% off a certain color tag, $1.29 Sunday and Monday for another color, and 20% off coupons!!
- Ebay is another great way to save and shop at home!! I love browsing ebay for wall art and little accessories!!! My kitchen is rustic hearts and stars and is hard to find in stores. I have found sellers on ebay that have several options that I have been choosing for. Sometimes you can message a seller to combine lots or work a multiple purchase discount!! It never hurts to ask!
- Clearance at retail stores!! I love shopping Target, Ross, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory for home decorations!! Its even better when I can pick up great stuff on clearance!!
Keep a list with you or on your phone of the items you are in need of. Measurements and colors are good details to keep on your list, too. Do you have any secrets about saving money on items for your home. We would love to hear your ideas!