This amazing and easy Almond Brittle Recipe was recreated from a recipe given to me over 20 years ago. Truthfully, this is the first time I have ever attempted to make it. I am not a huge fan of cooking things in the microwave. My husband is even a bigger hater than me! We use the microwave mainly for reheating leftovers or melting butter. But when you can make amazing treats like this in under 10 minutes, how can you dis the microwave!
Apparently, 20 years ago the microwaves weren’t quite as powerful as mine is today. It took me 3 times of trial and error to get the almond brittle to perfection. I burnt the first batch, under cooked the 2nd batch and the 3rd batch was just right. I felt like Goldilocks! I used almonds because I found an awesome deal on them at the local bulk foods store, but you can use peanuts or any nut you choose! Enjoy!
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 to 1½ cups almonds
- Caution bowl and mixture will get very hot. Please take precautions not to burn yourself.
- Place corn syrup, sugar & salt in a large microwave safe bowl
- add nuts and stir until well coated.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes and stir well.
- Microwave on high for an additional 3 minutes.
- Immediately add butter, baking soda and vanilla.
- Stir and spread out on a greased cookie sheet.
- Let cool until hard.
- Break into bite size pieces and enjoy!