Thank you to California Walnuts for sponsoring the recipe we created, Apple Walnut Slow Cooker Bread Pudding.
Who loves sweet treats? This girl definitely does! I am working hard at living a healthy lifestyle, but still like the occasional dessert. It’s all about moderation, right? Yes it is! I tried to amp up this recipe with a few healthy additions. like California walnuts. Apple Walnut Bread Pudding recipe is a winner in the dessert category! Plus, it’s made in the slow cooker, so no need to heat up the kitchen on a hot summer day.
Here’s the list of ingredients you will need to have a wonderful, delicious dessert you can make in the slow cooker.
Apple Walnut Slow Cooker Bread Pudding
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
2 cups diced apples ( I used yellow delicious)
1 cup vanilla coffee creamer
1 cup sweet potato puree (baby food works great)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
8 cups cubed whole grain bread lightly toasted (approx 10-12 slices)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped California walnuts
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Optional toppings: frozen yogurt, caramel syrup, California Walnuts
Traditionally bread pudding is made with stale bread cubes. I don’t usually have time to wait for the bread to become stale when I need it for a recipe. I just lightly toast the bread in the toaster and cube it up. For this batch of Apple Walnut Bread Pudding, I used a dark German Wheat bread for the whole grain and fiber. You can use your favorite hearty bread.
The apples I added were chopped, but I didn’t remove the skin. Leaving the skin on adds extra fiber, which we all know is what we need for healthy digestions.
The California walnuts are packed full of nutrition and add a wonderful texture to the Apple Walnut Slow Cooker Bread Pudding recipe. California walnuts, add protein, fiber and healthy omega-3s to our dessert recipe. Walnuts are the only nut to contain a significant amount of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), the essential plant-based omega-3 fatty acid. In one ounce, there are 2.5 grams of ALA, which is more than five times the amount found in any other nut. Bam! That definitely kicked the recipe up a notch or two! California walnuts have a distinct delicious flavor. It was hard not to eat all of them before I even started the recipe.
Sweet potato is also full of fiber, beta-carotene and vitamins. Sweet potatoes can be added to most any recipe, very easily. If a baking recipe calls for applesauce, pumpkin or melted butter, try substituting sweet potato puree for extra nutrition. I keep baby food sweet potatoes in my pantry so I always have them on hand when I need them.
Recipes that you can throw together and forget for a few hours, are the best. I utilize my slow cooker as much as possible all year round. I don’t have air conditioning in my house, so I appreciate not having to turn on the oven during the hot summer days.
Place chopped apples in small bowl and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of white sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon. Stir until coated and set aside.
Gently toss to make sure all bread cubes are fully coated with egg mixture.
Cook on low 3 to 4 hours until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
Serve warm with caramel syrup, additional California walnuts, and frozen yogurt if desired.
You don’t have to feel guilty eating an occasional dessert like this Apple Walnut Slow Cooker Bread Pudding. When you add California walnuts to your recipe, you add extra protein, fiber and healthy fats that should be part of a healthy lifestyle journey.
Can you think of a favorite recipe that would be even better if you added California walnuts?
If you have a favorite walnut recipe, be sure to enter the I Heart Walnuts recipe contest. The contests is accepting entries now through July 7.
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups diced apples ( I used yellow delicious)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vanilla coffee creamer
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (baby food works great)
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 8 cups cubed whole grain bread lightly toasted (approx 10-12 slices)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Optional toppings: frozen yogurt, caramel syrup, California Walnuts
- Place chopped apples in small bowl and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of white sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon. Stir until coated and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 4 eggs, vanilla creamer, sweet potato puree, brown sugar, vanilla extract, 2 tsp cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended.
- Grease the inside of a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Add a layer of ½ bread cubes.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped apple mixture.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup chopped California Walnuts.
- Pour ½ of the egg mixture over the layers.
- Repeat layers with remaining bread cubes, apples and California walnuts.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over the layers.
- Gently toss to make sure all bread cubes are fully coated with egg mixture.
- Cook on low 3 to 4 hours until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm with caramel syrup, additional California walnuts, and frozen yogurt if desired.