Crock Pot Shredded Chicken is a must have in my house!! With kids at home, after school activities, work, and life I am desperate for kitchen cheats that make my life easier and my time in the kitchen more efficient!! Making shredded chicken this way uses my two favorite must have kitchen appliances my KitchenAid mixer and my crock pots!! (I have three different sized crock pots that I use on a regular basis, but have 6 in more arsenal -obsessed) We order Zaycon chicken twice a year and it gets put to good use. (Check out our -> Zaycon review post)
Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Directions:
- Trim the fat off your chicken breasts (you can use other parts of chicken but breasts are the leanest)
- Pour a can of chicken broth in your crock pot
- Place in 4 halves of chicken breasts – approx 8 lbs(the Zaycon ones are bigger you maybe able to get in more smaller ones)
- Cover with water and allow to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours)
- Use a meat thermometer and make sure chicken has reached the proper cooking temperature of 165 degrees
- Remove chicken breasts from your Crock Pot and place in the large bowl of you KitchenAid Mixer.
- Spoon in about a ladle full of the liquid from the crock pot into the mixer with the chicken. ( This will help the chicken stay moist when it is frozen. )
- Turn your Kitchen Aid mixer on low and let it shred the chicken for you. Be sure to keep an eye on it, the longer it mixes the finer shredded the chicken will be.
- Portion out the chicken into freezer bags or containers and freeze.
What are your favorite recipes to use shredded chicken in?