– This Cracker Candy can be addictive! Everyone in your home will eat it and will not be able to stop. It’s the perfect blend of sweet and saltiness with the added twist of peanut butter to make it perfect! If you plan to have some on hand for Christmas or to give as holiday gifts be sure to make multiple batches. Many, many batches are cooked and eaten in this house in the month of December. And if you’re lucky there may even be some left for the New Year’s Party. (Don’t count on it)
Cracker candy requires just a few simple ingredients, is easy to make and a pleasure to eat! You will need one sleeve of saltine crackers, 2 sticks of margarine, 1 cup granulated sugar and a 12 oz bag of peanut butter and chocolate chips. If you cannot find the combo bag of flavored chips, you will just have to use 1/2 a bag of chocolate and 1/2 a bag of peanut butter chips. Line a 10 x 12 cookie sheet with foil and spread the saltines evenly on the tray.
Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan. Stir in the sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir constantly for 3 minutes.
Pour the butter sugar mixture over the crackers and put in to a preheated 400 degree oven for five to seven minutes, or until golden brown.
Immediately remove pan from oven and sprinkle with chocolate and peanut butter chips. Chips will begin to melt after approximately one minute. As chips melt, smooth mixture over crackers until a nice even coat of chocolate is spread over them.
Refrigerate until hardened. Remove foil and break in to pieces. Enjoy and try not to eat the whole batch! Cracker Candy Recipe Pin Above Or Print Below:
- 2 sticks margarine or butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter chips, 1/2 of a 12 oz bag
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 of a 12 oz bag
- 2 sleeves saltine crackers
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Completely line a 10 x 15 cookie sheet with aluminum foil (cover the edges). Cover the foil with the saltine crackers, lining up very tightly. Overlapping at edges is fine & breaking crackers in half to fill in empy spaces is fine, too.
- In a medium saucepan melt margarine on medium heat. Stir in sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes while stirring constantly. After you have boiled for 3 minutes pour butter sugar mixture over saltines. Bake in oven for 5 - 7 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and pour peanut butter and chocolate chips over crackers (heat will melt chips). Allow to sit for 1 minute and start to spread chips over the crackers. (rubber spatula works great). Generously cover crackers with melting chips. Place in refrigerator to cool. When cooled completely foil should pull up from sides and you can flip over and peel off. Break crackers into bite size pieces. Store in a covered container in a cool place. (we have an unheated enclosed porch, it's perfect)
Everyone loves food so Cracker Candy is the perfect gift giving item. You can wrap it in a cute cellophane bag or one of those decorated containers and slap a bow on top & it’s ready to go. This is also a recipe that uses a lot of ingredients you may already have in your pantry! Enjoy!
Be sure to check out our -> Two Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge
and get in the kitchen and cook up some great gifts! What is your go to holiday treat recipe??