This post contains my Amazon recommendations. I may earn commissions if you purchase through my links.
Surprise! Is this the kind of chicken and waffles recipe you were searching for? If you are from the south, you may associate fried chicken on a waffle as your version of chicken and waffles, but not in PA. We do it our own way.
Our way looks something like this… Homemade waffles smothered in shredded chicken gravy, served with a side of mashed potatoes because the PA DUTCH love those carbs!
I sometimes wonder where this version of Chicken and Waffles recipe originally came from? My sort of German, PA Dutch family has been eating chicken and waffles for as long as I can remember. That must mean we invented it! Or maybe the Amish did but we will take the credit!
Chicken and waffles are one of my husband’s favorite dishes, so it’s on the menu often. We purchase boneless skinless chicken breast in bulk then, cook the chicken in the crock pot, shred and freeze it in meal size portions. Having the chicken on hand makes whipping up Chicken and Waffles and many other recipes, quick and easy.
Last month I ordered and picked up 40 lbs of fresh chicken breast. When I get home, I cook and freeze 1/2 my chicken in meal size portions, while the rest of it, I slice or cube and also freeze for casseroles, soups and more.
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 6 tablespoons corn starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring chicken broth to boil.
- Stir cornstarch with a small amount of water until thick.
- Add thickened cornstarch to boiling broth and stir well.
- Reduce heat and add cooked chicken.
- Continue to stir until gravy thickens and chicken is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over waffles, bread or mashed potatoes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 192Saturated Fat 1gCholesterol 59mgSodium 425mgCarbohydrates 12gSugar 2gProtein 19g
Have you ever cooked chicken and waffles?
Looking for more chicken recipes? I’ve got you covered with these 12 Chicken Breast Recipes.