Even when it’s not cold outside my son and husband drink plenty of hot chocolate. Every time I’d pick up a canister or box of hot chocolate mix, I’d tell myself, you need to make your own.
Making your own instant hot chocolate mix is easy and a lot less expensive than the prepackaged versions. Not to mention, when you control the ingredients, it’s easier to make a mix that meets your family’s needs.
This post contains affiliate links to products used in the recipe. If you click through and make a purchase we make a commission.
Unsweetened cocoa, powdered milk, and confectioner’s sugar is all you need to make this sweet treat. Other recipes recommend a bit of salt, but I don’t think that is necessary and skip that ingredient. You can also use granulated sugar in place of the confectioner’s sugar, but it doesn’t dissolve as smoothly when you prepare the hot chocolate.
This is an easy recipe and you can have a large quantity of hot chocolate mix ready to serve in less than five minutes.
I usually make a triple batch of this recipe, store it in a large airtight container, and transfer it to a mason jar for easy access. Keep a tablespoon sized scoop right in the jar and you’re ready to prepare a nice cup of hot chocolate. Refill the mason jar as needed.
Feel free to add marshmallows or whipped topping to your prepared cup of hot chocolate. My husband uses hot chocolate mix and adds it to his coffee to drink hot or cold. It gives the coffee a rich mocha flavor and even this non-coffee drinker enjoys the taste.
You could even learn How to Make Orange Extract for another great flavor to pair with your hot chocolate.
Add two to three heaping tablespoons to a large mug and add eight ounces of hot water. Stir well and enjoy!
Do you make any of your mixes? How about hot chocolate mix, is that something your family would enjoy?
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup non-fat dry milk
- 1 cup 10x Sugar
- Mix all ingredients until well blended.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Add 2 to 3 Tablespoons of mix to 8 oz of hot water.
- Stir & enjoy.
For more Pinterest remakes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Berry Sipper Mocktail by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Starbucks Cup Gift Card Holder by Homemaking Hacks
- Ice Lanterns by Upstate Ramblings
- Lip Scrub by Mom Always Finds Out
- The Best Homemade Vanilla Extract by How Was Your Day?
- The Best Crockpot Chili Recipe by Food Fun Family
- Vintage Cheddar and Gruyere Mac and Cheese with Polish Kielbasa by A Day in Motherhood
- Flourless Brownies with Craisins and Pistachios by Day by Day in Our World
- DIY Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe by Just 2 Sisters
- Tiger Nut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies by Home and Garden Cafe
- Bang Bang Chicken by Jennifer Sikora
- Frozen Banana Yogurt Peanut Dog Treats by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Oatmeal by Sincerely Mindy
- Garlic Monkey Bread Recipe by Gator Mommy
- Homemade Vanilla Orange Mint Sugar Scrub by Baby Loving Mama
- Valentine’s Day Strawberries by Sizzling Eats
- All Natural 2 Ingredient Lip Gloss by The Socialite’s Closet
- Pantry Tomato Pasta by The Guavalicious Life
- How to Make Strawberry Pecan Bread by Mommy Snippets