This homemade vegetable soup is great for fall! My Weight Watchers vegetable soup is zero points per serving and perfect for staying on track with your plan!
Homemade Vegetable Soup | Weight Watchers Vegetable Soup
Having a zero point homemade vegetable soup recipe on hand is great for times when you want something indulgent but light! During the cooler months we love to make soups and chili recipes. This Weight Watchers vegetable soup is delicious enough that the whole family devours it!
Can I add meat to this vegetable soup?
If you have been looking for a low points veggie soup that you can use as a base for adding your favorite meat this is an awesome choice as well!
You can easily add beef or other protein to this soup. Since the vegetable soup is a zero point recipe the only points you have to count are for your meat!
Another great idea is to add shredded chicken breasts to the recipe for a protein boost that doesn’t add any points.
What do I need to make this homemade vegetable soup?
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 16 oz bags Italian style frozen vegetables
- 2 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 carton chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves, minced
- Bunch of scallions, washed, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Enough water to cover vegetables in pot
Can I substitute other vegetables or add to this recipe?
You can substitute in other vegetables if you like! If there’s any vegetables on the list that you know you or your family won’t enjoy or can’t enjoy, just swap them out for other vegetables or leave them out altogether.
I think once they all cook down together in this tasty soup recipe they’re great but that doesn’t mean that the soup will suffer if you leave something out or swap it out for something else.
You can also use whatever frozen vegetable mix you like. I like the Italian style vegetable mix but any frozen veggie mix will do!
Here’s how to make this Weight Watchers vegetable soup:
- Pour chicken or vegetable stock into large cooking pot.
- Add, washed and chopped vegetables to pot.
- Top with enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Add chopped basil and diced tomatoes.
- Reserve scallions for garnish.
- Bring soup to a boil and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately, or store in refrigerator or freezer.
When do I add the meat if I want to include some in this recipe?
If I was going to add meat to this recipe I would use cooked meat and add it after step number five. Stir everything well and let it simmer. If you are using raw meat you need to make sure to let the soup cook until the meat reaches the right internal temperature!
How much does this recipe make?
This is a pretty large batch of soup. It’s about 5 quarts and it serves six people with leftovers to spare. If you want to cut the recipe in half you can do that.
I would recommend you make the full batch though and freeze the rest if you won’t use it in time. Then you will have a delicious zero point Weight Watchers recipe on hand that just needs thawed out and served!
Printable Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 436mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g
More great Weight Watchers recipes to try:
Here are some other great Weight Watchers recipes for you to try. These all make some great dinner recipes that the whole family will enjoy.
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- Weight Watchers SmartPoints Salads
- Weight Watchers Pork Chops | 3 Freestyle Smart Points
- Instant Pot Mushroom Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Weight Watchers Macaroni and Cheese