My husband and I have recently renewed our love of camping! It’s the empty nest stage of our marriage and it’s awesome in so many ways. This recipe for 3 Cheese Bacon Campfire Potatoes makes cooking outdoors easy and enjoyable. This post contains links to products to make camping more enjoyable. If you buy items through those links we may earn a profit from the sale. Those profits help support the yearly camping budget.
We spent the past weekend at a PA State Park. Camping is so peaceful and relaxing. We promised each other that we would make it a point to camp more often. Once you reach that empty nest stage of your marriage, renewing your love of the things you enjoy as a couple is invigorating. While we spent a lot of time relaxing, reading and kayaking, we had to eat, too. My husband normally cooks at home, so camping was no different. He did most of the cooking and I cleaned up. It’s awesome to have such a talented husband. He can do so many things and doesn’t complain (too much) while he’s at it.
Campfire potatoes are a big part of meals when we camp. They are easy to prepare and don’t cost much. This time hubby decided to add a few extra ingredients. Too bad, those extra ingredients also add extra calories and fat. Thank goodness there was plenty of time to hike and kayak to burn off some calories. 3 Cheese Bacon Campfire Potatoes are sure to satisfy everyone’s tastes. Who doesn’t love bacon? The best part of them is you can make them for one meal and use the leftovers for another meal. They taste great any time of the day. We made our 3 Bacon Campfire Potatoes as part of our supper. Then we used the potatoes the next morning as part of breakfast. Added some scrambled eggs and green pepper and a whole new meal. YUM! Have you ever tried popcorn over the campfire? It’s my favorite snack. I am going to try the Popcorn Popper from Amazon and see how it turns out. Wish me luck!
- 3 medium red potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz shredded cheese, we used a colby, monterey, cheddar blend
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- Create your foil packets with a double thickness of heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 18 in. square).
- Spray foil with non stick spray or grease with olive oil
- Put 1/2 of potatoes in the middle of each foil packet
- Dot with Butter
- Sprinkle with Onion
- Add Salt and Pepper.
- Fold foil around potato mixture and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 12-15 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender.
- Carefully open foil so you don't steam yourself.
- Sprinkle the bacon and cheeses over potato mixture.
- Grill 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Open foil with caution, so steam can escape
Amount Per Serving Calories 1330Saturated Fat 39gCholesterol 218mgSodium 1734mgCarbohydrates 117gFiber 12gSugar 15gProtein 65g